Members of SACHI will be at the upcoming CHI’17 conference.
If you are looking to meet members of SACHI to discuss collaborations or research visits you can find us here. Likewise, if you are a company attending CHI and you wish to discuss working with us please get in touch. You can find us helping and involved throughout CHI 2017 with the presentation of 5 papers including 2 full papers, 1 late breaking work paper, 2 workshop papers and other activities.
Find an overview of the SACHI research that is being presented in form of papers or other below.
Bottom-up vs. Top-down: Trade-offs in Efficiency, Understanding, Freedom and Creativity with InfoVis Tools
Gonzalo Gabriel Méndez, Uta Hinrichs, and Miguel A. Nacenta
In Proceedings of the 2017 CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI ’17). ACM, New York, NY, USA, 841-852.
Monday, May 08; 14:30 – 15:50
Understanding Data Visualisation: Room Four Seasons 4
Project Page | PDF | Local PDF
Investigating Tilt-based Gesture Keyboard Entry for Single-Handed Text Entry on Large Devices
Hui-Shyong Yeo, Xiao-Shen Phang, Steven J. Castellucci, Per Ola Kristensson, and Aaron Quigley
In Proceedings of the 2017 CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI ’17). ACM, New York, NY, USA, 4194-4202.
Wednesday, May 10; 11:30 – 12:50
Innovative Text Entry Systems: Room 205
Some coverage of this paper:
- TechCrunch: Tilt gesture keyboard could hold promise for typing in VR
- Fast Co Design: Why Don’t More UIs Use Accelerometers?
Late Breaking Work
TiTAN: Exploring Midair Text Entry using Freehand Input
Hui-Shyong Yeo, Xiao-Shen Phang, Taejin Ha, Woontack Woo and Aaron Quigley
In CHI EA ’17 Proceedings of the 2017 CHI Conference Extended Abstracts on Human Factors in Computing Systems Pages 3041-3049
Data Craft: Integrating Data into Daily Practices and Shared Reflections
Alice Thudt, Uta Hinrichs and Sheelagh Carpendale
Saturday, May 7
Workshop: Quantified Data & Social Relationships | PDF
Could Keyboard Background Images Affect Performance, Cognitive Load or Engagement?
Hui-Shyong Yeo, Per Ola Kristensson, and Aaron Quigley
Saturday, May 7
Workshop: Workshop on Ubiquitous Text Interaction | PDF
- Thursday: Miguel is chairing the session on Data Extraction, in room 103/105 from 14.30 – 15.50
- Thursday: Aaron is chairing the session on Mobile & Tools, in room 302 from 9.30 – 10.50.
CHI 2017 is offering a series of special symposia for topics pertinent to HCI communities and as ACM SIGCHI Vice President for Conferences, Aaron will be attending a number of these symposia, including:
- Saturday May 6th (9-11am): HCI Across Borders, Room 303
- Sunday May 7th (9.45am – 11.30am): Asian CHI Symposium: Emerging HCI Research Collection, Room 302
- Sunday May 7th (4-5pm): Presentation at 2nd Career Development Symposium for Recent PHDs, Room 304
Workshops and SIGCHI events
The SIGCHI Executive Committee is organising a series of events at CHI for the HCI community at large and as ACM SIGCHI Vice President for Conferences, Aaron will be presenting at a number of these events, including:
- Sunday May 7th: SIGCHI Chapters Workshop on Sunday May 7th (invitation only)
- Monday: SIGCHI Video Lunch in room 205 on Monday from 12.50 (open to all)
- Wednesday: SIGCHI Town Hall in room 207 from 12.50 (open to all)
- Wednesday: Becoming a SIGCHI volunteer in Room 106 from 2.30