Dr Uta Hinrichs
Dr. Uta Hinrichs is the director of SACHI. She joined SACHI as a lecturer in June 2015, after working as a Research Fellow at the group. Uta received her PhD in Computer Science with a specialization in Computational Media Design from the University of Calgary in Canada where she was with the InnoVis Group. Uta also holds a Diplom (equiv. to MSc) in Computational Visualistics from the University of Magdeburg in Germany.
Uta's research is at the intersection of visualization, HCI, design, the humanities, and art. Her work focuses on designing and studying the use and experience of interactive systems that facilitate the exploration and analysis of (cultural) data collections from academic, leisurely, and artistic perspectives. Her research approach is interdisciplinary, drawing not only from various areas of Computer Science but also from other fields such as Design, Information Sciences, Media Arts, and Philosophy. Recent works include collaborations with literary scholars and historians, where Uta designed and studied visualizations that can facilitate the exploration of large-scale, untapped cultural collections, such as science fiction stories, literature around the city of Edinburgh (Palimpsest/LitLong Edinburgh), or 19th century commodity trading documents (Trading Consequences project).
- Bishop, F, Zagermann, J, Pfeil, U, Sanderson, G, Reiterer, H & Hinrichs, U 2020, 'Construct-A-Vis: exploring the free-form visualization processes of children', IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 451-460. https://doi.org/10.1109/TVCG.2019.2934804
- Hall, KW, Bradley, A, Hinrichs, U, Huron, S, Wood, J, Collins, C & Carpendale, S 2019, 'Design by immersion: a transdisciplinary approach to problem-driven visualizations', IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics, vol. Early Access. https://doi.org/10.1109/TVCG.2019.2934790
- Carson, I, Hinrichs, U & Quigley, AJ 2019, 'Walkers—encoding multivariate data into human motion sequences', Paper presented at Immersive Analytics: Interaction Design and Prototyping for Immersive Analytics: co-located with the CHI 2019 the ACM Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems, Glasgow, United Kingdom, 5/05/19 - 5/05/19.
- Mendez, GG, Nacenta, M & Hinrichs, U 2018, Considering agency and data granularity in the design of visualization tools. in Proceedings of the 2018 CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI'18)., 638, ACM, New York, NY, ACM CHI 2018 Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems, Montréal, Canada, 21/04/18. https://doi.org/10.1145/3173574.3174212
- Vancisin, T, Crawford, A, Orr, MM & Hinrichs, U 2018, From people to pixels: visualizing historical university records. in Transimage 2018: Proceedings of the 5th Biennial Transdisciplinary Imaging Conference 2018. pp. 41-57, Transimage 2018, Edinburgh, United Kingdom, 19/04/18. https://doi.org/10.6084/m9.figshare.6104699
- Hinrichs, U, Forlini, S & Moynihan, B 2018, 'In defense of sandcastles: research thinking through visualization in digital humanities', Digital Scholarship in the Humanities (DSH), vol. Advance Articles, fqy051. https://doi.org/10.1093/llc/fqy051
- Forlini, S, Hinrichs, U & Brosz, J 2018, 'Mining the material archive: balancing sensate experience and sense-making in digitized print collections', Open Library of Humanities, vol. 4, no. 2, 35, pp. 1-36. https://doi.org/10.16995/olh.282
- Thudt, A, Hinrichs, U, Huron, S & Carpendale, S 2018, Self-reflection and personal physicalization construction. in Proceedings of the 2018 CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI'18)., 154, ACM, New York, NY, ACM CHI 2018 Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems, Montréal, Canada, 21/04/18. https://doi.org/10.1145/3173574.3173728
- Loxley, J, Alex, B, Anderson, M, Hinrichs, U, Grover, C, Harris-Birtill, D, Thomson, T, Quigley, A & Oberlander, J 2018, ‘Multiplicity embarrasses the eye’: The digital mapping of literary Edinburgh. in The Routledge Companion to Spatial History. Taylor and Francis, pp. 604-628. https://doi.org/10.4324/9781315099781
- Carpendale, S, Knudsen, S, Thudt, A & Hinrichs, U 2017, Analyzing qualitative data. in Proceedings of the 2017 ACM International Conference on Interactive Surfaces and Spaces, ISS 2017. Association for Computing Machinery, Inc, pp. 477-481, 2017 ACM International Conference on Interactive Surfaces and Spaces, ISS 2017, Brighton, United Kingdom, 17/10/17. https://doi.org/10.1145/3132272.3135087