Lecturer - School of Computer Science
Loraine is a HCI (Human Computer Interaction) design researcher and lecturer at the University of St. Andrews. Her background includes product design, interactive media, museum studies, design-based research and qualitative research methods. Loraine spends a lot of her time in FabLab environments creating interactive prototypes which involve digital fabrication methods like 3D printing and laser cutting, and using various microcontrollers such as Arduino. At the heart of Loraine’s research is the motivation to support meaningful experiences with interactive physical objects and to explore technology which empowers people and communities. Recent projects include: a Global Challenge Research project exploring co-creating alternative narratives for decentralised digital futures with rural communities in India; research with Mozilla’s open IoT studio focusing on the health of the internet including privacy, inclusion and literacy in relation to emerging connected devices; empowering neighbourhood communities to create their own DIY interactive inventions at participatory design hackathon events; and an EU project exploring the physical and material encounters visitors experience with digital cultural heritage. Much of this research has focused on creating alternative narratives to those presented by dominant technology giants regarding future technologies. Tangible interaction, decentralised technology and contextual interactions are core to these narratives. Loraine completed her PhD at Strathclyde University, researching companions shared interaction at tangible interactive museum exhibits and how digital interactive exhibits support social interactions between companions. With a background in Product Design and interactive media, a central theme throughout Loraine’s work is people’s interaction with interactive physical objects, such as interactive museum exhibits, voice assistants and emerging connected devices.
- Clarke, L, Hornecker, E & Ruthven, I 2021, Fighting fires and powering steam locomotives: distribution of control and its role in social interaction at tangible interactive museum exhibits. in CHI '21: Proceedings of the 2021 CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems., 344, ACM, pp. 1-17, 2021 ACM CHI Virtual Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems, Yokohama, Japan, 8/05/21. https://doi.org/10.1145/3411764.3445534
- Carson, I, Quigley, A, Clarke, L & Hinrichs, U 2021, 'Investigating the effect of sensory concurrency on learning haptic spatiotemporal signals', Proceedings of the ACM on Interactive, Mobile, Wearable and Ubiquitous Technologies, vol. 5, no. 1, 6, pp. 1-30. https://doi.org/10.1145/3448102
- Taylor, N, Rogers, J, Clarke, L, Skelly, M, Wallace, J, Thomas, P, George, B, Raj, R, Shorter, M & Thorne, M 2021, Prototyping things: reflecting on unreported objects of design research for IoT. in DIS '21: Designing Interactive Systems Conference 2021. ACM, pp. 1807-1816. https://doi.org/10.1145/3461778.3462037
- Rogers, J, Clarke, L, Skelly, M, Taylor, N, Thomas, P, Thorne, M, Larsen, S, Odrozek, K, Kloiber, J, Bihr, P, Jain, A, Arden, J & von Grafenstein, M 2019, Our Friends Electric: reflections on advocacy and design research for the voice enabled internet. in Proceedings of the 2019 CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI 2019)., 114, ACM, pp. 1-13, CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI), Glasgow, 4/05/19. https://doi.org/10.1145/3290605.3300344
- Taylor, N & Clarke, L 2018, Everybody's hacking: participation and the mainstreaming of hackathons. in 2018 CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI '18)., 172, ACM, 2018 CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems, CHI 2018, Montreal, Quebec, Canada, 21/04/18. https://doi.org/10.1145/3173574.3173746
- Taylor, N, Clarke, L, Skelly, M & Nevay, S 2018, Strategies for engaging communities in creating physical civic technologies. in Proceedings of the 2018 CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI '18)., 507, ACM, 2018 CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems, CHI 2018, Montreal, Quebec, Canada, 21/04/18. https://doi.org/10.1145/3173574.3174081
- Taylor, N, Clarke, L & Gorkovenko, K 2017, Community inventor days: scaffolding grassroots innovation with maker events. in Proceedings of the 2017 ACM Conference on Designing Interactive Systems (DIS 2017). ACM, pp. 1201-1212, 12th ACM Conference on Designing Interactive Systems, DIS 2017, Edinburgh, United Kingdom, 10/06/17. https://doi.org/10.1145/3064663.3064723
- Rogers, J, Skelly, M, Clarke, L, Thomas, P & Taylor, N, Our Friends Electric, 2017, Design. <http://superflux.in/index.php/work/friends-electric/#>
- Rogers, J, Clarke, L, Thomas, P, Taylor, N & Skelly, M 2017, Prototyping a Voice Enabled Internet: a practitioner's guide. Mozilla Foundation. <https://github.com/openiotstudio/general/blob/master/publications/voice_workbook.pdf>
- Rogers, J, Skelly, M, Thomas, P, Clarke, L & Taylor, N, Provocative Voice Prototypes, 2017, Design.